Powder Coating Technician
104 Airport Industrial Road Greenwood, SC 29649
Job Summary: Set up, operate, tend machines to powder coat a variety of surfaces and products. Whereas, surface preparation and a variety of paint methods may be required, this job specializes in powder coating operations. Works independently, leads, and works as a member of a work team. Independently determines the work sequences, tools, and materials required. Requires little supervision or checks during the progress of his/her work assignments. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Must be able to work overtime when necessary and have a “ Get it done” mindset.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Coats sheet metal surfaces with powder paint spray guns and other devices.
• Performs masking and hanging in preparation for powder coating.
• Loads & Unloads the products for preparation and pre-heat post-heat processes.
• Powder coats the products according to the request color and customer specs.
• Load/Unload products and identify safe and productive racking and hanging methods for high line density
• Package products and identify best packaging practices
• Conducts thickness testing on the coating.
• Checks completed work with supervisor and/or quality control personnel to insure it meets required standards and specifications.
• Uses and maintains the following equipment and instruments: Curing Ovens, Blast Booths, Powder Coating Booths, Forklift, Coating Thickness Gauge, Infrared Thermometer, Single Rail Monorail System and product carts.
• Uses and maintains the following instruments: Abrasive blast nozzle, Powder coating gun, Chemical Steam Clean gun & system, Tape, Plugs, Razor blade or knife, Sand paper, Pneumatic grinder and sander, Thickness tester, Hooks and wire, Shop vacuum cleaner, Power floor sweeper.
• Operates machines or equipment used in coating or painting processes.
• Observes machine gauges and equipment operation to detect defects or deviations from standards and make adjustments as necessary.
• Determines powder air flow, powder adhesion and coating quality by performing visual inspections, or by using thickness gauges.
• Records operational data on specified forms.
• Follows or refers to work packages, specifications, drawings and manufacturers technical guidance.
• Must have attention to detail.
Essential Job Functions:
Employees must be able to function well with regard to the following:
• Uncontrolled environmental conditions: noise, dust, dirt, mobile equipment, and walking surfaces strewn with materials
• Occasional lifting up to 60 lbs., routine lifting up to 35 lbs., up to 10 times per hour, and pushing / pulling 10 lbs. regularly, 1 to 10 hours per day.
• Any combination of standing, bending, climbing, balancing, kneeling, crouching, reaching, handling, fingering, feeling and walking 8 to 10 hours per day.
• Ability to work up to 8-10 hour shifts and overtime as required by the work.
• Use of all limbs, dexterous and steady use of hands and arms for long periods of time.
• Simultaneous mental and muscular coordination, visual and audio awareness of surrounding area.
• Ability to climb ladders and stairs
• Ability to work in varying work conditions including extreme climates
• Ability to wear a respirator if required